Google AdSense for Newbies in NigeriaAugust 20, 2021 2021-09-08 17:18
Google AdSense for Newbies in Nigeria
Google AdSense for Newbies in Nigeria
Google AdSense is one of the several ways to monetize your website traffic in Nigeria. If you are new to blogging and to the diverse ways of making money online, you may have heard about Google AdSense or seen an AdSense ad on one of the websites you’ve visited recently.
Google Adsense can really help you make money online in Nigeria if you have a blog, website, YouTube account, or even all of the above. This wonderful content monetization program is one of the best and most profitable ways to make money online.
Google Adsense is created for bloggers, web owners, or content creators to make money from their content. And if you stick with us, we are going to tell you everything you need to know about getting started with Google Adsense in Nigeria. P.S: There is a bonus section in this post, so keep reading to find it out.
What is Google AdSense?
Google AdSense is an advertising placement service by Google. Formerly known as Google AdWord. The program is created for website publishers who want to display targeted text, audio, image, or video advertisements on website pages and earn money when website visitors view or click the ads.
These advertisements are managed and controlled by Google and Web publishers simply need to create a free AdSense account and copy and paste provided code to show the ads. Profits using AdSense are generated on a per-click or per-impression basis. It is also free to be a verified website publisher in the Google AdSense program.
Once you as a content creator apply for Google AdSense and your application gets approved, you have no control over which ad is displayed on your website, blog, YouTube channel.
Google AdSense is contextual in nature, which means your content governs what type of advertisement to receive from Google on each page of your website.
You can choose to display a type of ad (video, image, text audio) but you can’t convert it from one form to another (audio to text)
For instance, a business places an ad on Google in image format, Google will display the ad on your website in the same format.
Your content and platform only act as a medium to target audiences with the ads, and you make money from Google when the audience clicks on the ads.
What is important is each advertisement must be related to the content or page where it is found. For example, any Google ads you see on a page that talks about betting must be relevant to the content which will have something to do with sport.
Google does its best to make its ads as appropriate as possible without breaking your site UX.
How does Google AdSense work?
Google Adsense works on a cost-per-click (CPC) and revenue sharing basis. It charges advertisers (business or brands) per ad click and publishers (you) get roughly 68% of the amount an advertiser has set to pay for each click.
Google will only show targeted ads on your page that are related to the content on the web pages that the code has been inserted, and when your site visitors start clicking on those ads, you’ll be paid for it.
Technically, Google AdSense is used to generate leads for businesses by means of Google displaying businesses ads on your site. When your website visitors come across the ads and clicks on them, they will be referred to the website of the advertisers and act as the ads intend.
The more clicks and impressions you generate for the advertisers through AdSense, the more Google will pay you. And, according to SEMrush, 68% of the money Google collects from advertisers becomes yours.
So, in brief, this is how Google Adsense works. Next, we are going to look out how you can join this amazing platform that is Google Adsense.
How to know if your website is eligible for AdSense
It is possible to apply for Google AdSense in Nigeria and your application isn’t approved and there are a lot of things that could be the reason. Your disapproval can be because of your website’s SEO issues or just a violation of Google Adsense requirements.
Google AdSense has its own policies, which you must strictly follow if you want to get your AdSense account approved. So, any activity that violates the requirements for showing Google AdSense on your website would lead to automatic disqualification or termination of your account.
For this reason, it is critical you know how to get Google AdSense approval in 1 minute before signing up.
These are the requirements that you need to meet before opening a Google AdSense account in Nigeria:
- You must be older than 18— The first condition is that you must be up to 18 years of age at the moment of your application. There’s no point lying if you are not. You need a Gmail account to register for Google Adsense, and Google LLC owns Gmail. So, your personal data is already with Google. And, Google makes reference to that data whenever you want to open a Google AdSense account.
- You must have access to the backend of your site—It is one thing to apply for Google AdSense and another thing to get the approval and be able to insert the ad code on your site. This is only possible if you have access to your site backend. Otherwise, you won’t be able to add the code to your site.
This had to be added because it is very possible to have a website and don’t have control over it. If you don’t know your admin login details, having access to the backend of the site would be problematic. So, make sure that all access to the source code of your website is clear before applying for Google AdSense.
- Your website must be in a supported language— The language in which a site is created also plays a critical role in getting Google AdSense approval. Google has restrictions for some languages which are not supported for the Adsense service. This is to ensure that Google AdSense is understandable to the target audience.
At the moment of writing this post, any website in any of these supported languages is qualified for Google AdSense:
Arabic, Bengali, Bulgarian, Catalan, Chinese (simplified and traditional), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Gujarati, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Kannada, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Malayalam, Marathi, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish (European and Latin American), Swedish, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, and Vietnamese.
If the language of your content is not included in the above list, you might have to rewrite your content or wait until your preferred language is added in the future.
- Your website must be mobile-friendly— Nowadays, most people use their smartphones to access the internet. And if your website isn’t mobile-friendly, just forget about opening a Google Adsense.
Google is very strict about website responsiveness and disqualifies anyone who doesn’t meet this standard. So, ensure your website is responsive, fast, and mobile-friendly.
- Your web content must be original— If you’ve been plagiarizing other people’s works, you are not doing yourself any good. It’s at this stage you realized how much damage you’ve done to yourself by publishing other people’s content on your website.
Google does everything possible to ensure you don’t monetize content that is not yours. So, if you want to open a Google AdSense account and Google finds out that you have been plagiarizing other people’s content, your application will be disqualified.
- Quality Content— It’s not enough that your content must be original but it must be of high quality. While you are developing your content, try your best to improve your page authority. This can be achieved by writing, engaging headlines for your posts, well-researched content, and content relevant to your niche.
Your website will be eligible for AdSense when you make quality a point of focus while creating content for your website.
- Your website must support Google content policies— Google has content policies that act as a guide for publishers on the type of content that can display Google Adsense. Some types of websites are not meant to display Google ads.
If you want to sign up for Google AdSense in Nigeria and get approved quickly, your website must support the content policies. The policies are to guide against explicit content. And that makes any website that portrays any of the following elements far from getting Google AdSense approval in Nigeria:
- Adult content
- Shock content
- Excessive profanity
- Hacking tips
- Drug abuse
- Sales of weapons
For instance, if your website has content on any of these things above, even if it’s just a page, then don’t bother applying for Google Adsense. Google will give your application a big thumbs down.
- Don’t use fake traffic— Fake traffic doesn’t necessarily mean bots. Fake traffic comes in different forms. Clicking on AdSense links yourself or employing friends, family members, or people for the task is manipulative. This type of traffic is bogus and prohibited.
What Google wants is that: Clicks on Google Ads must result from users with genuine interest. Any process that artificially generates impressions or clicks on your Google Ads is strictly prohibited.
If you’re caught manipulating your traffic, you won’t only lose the privilege to make money with Google AdSense in Nigeria but you will also get banned.
- Your website must be easy to navigate— Navigation is the part of a website that makes the end-user travel from one page to the other. Without this feature, users won’t be able to get the entire scoop of your website. You should also know that when you apply for Google AdSense in Nigeria, a representative of Google might visit your website for a critical assessment.
If the representative can’t travel through your website as a result of poor or no navigation, your website will be disqualified. It is mandatory that your website must have a clear organized navigation menu which must be: Accessible, responsive, readable, and clickable
With all these requirements needed to register for Google AdSense in Nigeria, we hope that you know have an idea to know if your website is eligible for Goggle Adsense.
How to get your Google AdSense account approved?
To be approved for Google AdSense you have to submit an application form and when your application gets reviewed and if you are approved for the AdSense program, then you can earn money with Google Adsense.
In a nutshell, there are 4 steps to applying and getting approved for Google Adsense.
1. Create quality content.
This can’t be stressed enough. Content is the currency Google understands. Google wants to know that you have a valuable resource. So, to increase your chances of getting approved, you need to create original, coherent, and useful content. I would advise that you have at least 10 well-written articles of 500 words or more each on your site before applying.
2. Set up a well-designed website theme or layout.
3. Submit your application online.
You will be asked to provide your website URL, individual or business name, phone number, mailing address, email address, and other basic bits of information. You are not required to submit your bank account information at this stage yet. This will happen after you get approved.
4. Get approved.
It usually takes 24 to 48 hours for Google to review and approve your application. If you follow the steps highlighted above, you should have no issues getting approved quickly. Once your account has been approved, your website can start showing ads. However, if your application was rejected, make the recommended improvements and re-apply after 3 to 4 weeks.
How to increase your Google AdSense earnings
This is a bonus section of this post. It’s one thing to get approved for Google Adsense and it’s another thing to earn money from Google AdSense. So, we are going to provide tricks and tips that will help you boost your AdSense revenue.
1. Place Ad Units above the Fold
The higher you place your Ad Units at the top of the page, the more likely they are to be viewed and clicked. While it is good to have ads above the fold, do this with sense. Don’t stuff it with ad units. Users will get turned off if they open a website and all they see are ads, making it hard for them to read the actual content.
2. Place Ads within the post content
When we talk about AdSense and increasing Adsense revenue, one way to go about it is by blending your ads in between the post. Even though this practice might make your content experience not so great, but it will definitely increase your CTR and overall AdSense revenue.
3. Allow Text and Image-Based Ads type
Allowing your ad units to display both text and image/rich media ad types, increases the number of ads competing to appear on your site. By doing this, more advertisers in the ad auction will drive higher bids, which in turn means more revenue for you. On average, publishers see a 59% increase in eCPM earnings when they make these recommended changes.
4. Increase the size of your Ad Units
Forget all the other size options that Adsense gives you. Bigger is better. While using this strategy, you can forget trying to blend it into your content, just make the ad visible so people can’t miss it. Advertisers prefer larger ad units for their premium inventory, resulting in higher bids for ad placements.
5. Strategically place or position your Ads
Where you choose to place an ad on your site can be a factor in the number of clicks you get. It’s kind of hard to tell which section is best for placing ads because each website is different. What works for site A might not work for site B, so the best way to know the optimized section is by experimenting with ad placement on your website.
6. Review and optimize your Ads
You shouldn’t be too comfortable with your ad layouts. It is easy to get relaxed with a certain amount of revenue, but you should always be testing strategies and ideas to ensure you can maximize your revenue streams.
To be honest, making your first $100 on Adsense can be really difficult, that is why you need to make sure you set up your blog or website correctly from the start. Make sure that your website category is advertising friendly because your AdSense income fully depends on the categories of your website.
You can definitely earn well with Google Adsense but only if you understand and follow the rules.